Word Hoard

Saturday, March 10, 2007

My Bad

So my linguistic hubris has laid me low again.

In this post's comments, my arrogance is revealed. Please click the link.

I felt that this was the wrong spelling for this. But when reading the definition of Spartan at my local ice cream boutique, after watching 300, I realized I was mistaken.

There is some semantic kinship twixt hardy and hearty, but more to separate them. Hardy is a severe state of invulnerability. Hearty is a condition of vigorous passion; often paired with welcome, it is an active embrace and openness.

Thank you Michael for your admonition, unknowing as it may have been. There is a nice quote about how we know something is crooked by holding against something straight. Our association has straighten'd me.

2 Comments:

  • At March 13, 2007 6:16 PM, Blogger Wishydig said…

    An unwitting pleasure. I have tripped on the distinction many times. I have just learned to focus on the hard/tough root of the first, and the heart/passionate root of the second.

     
  • At June 13, 2007 9:36 PM, Blogger Casey said…

    Any thoughts on the fast food chain, Hardees?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home