Word Hoard

Monday, February 12, 2007

Disgust

I often listen to Mike and Mike in the Morning, on my local ESPN radio station. It is hosted by Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic. Their schtick is that Golic is a troglodite former defensive lineman in the NFL, and "Greeny" is a metrosexual Jewish intellectual. So there are plenty of interchanges where Golic talks about his hygiene or eating habits and Greeny expresses his disgust. Occasionally, the disgust will be so great that Greeny will say something like, "I'm so disgusted, I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth." or just "I just threw up a little bit in my mouth."

It is a pet phrase of his, along with "At the end of the day, . . . ." I don't know how I feel about this phrase. I've noticed it other places, sometimes with variations on the concept, and it is still effective. However, I'm afraid it might catch on and, with increased use, lose its effectiveness. I know Greeny isn't the progenitor of the phrase, just a propigator of it, but he's my propigator.

3 Comments:

  • At February 13, 2007 1:28 AM, Blogger Wishydig said…

    When I saw your title I thought you might be tackling a phonological commentary on the homophonic pair disgust/discussed.

    I first remember hearing the "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit" reaction delivered by Christine Taylor in the true underdog story Dodgeball.

    It's a little too descriptive for me.

    The "at the end of the day" line is too easy for a pretty simple idea but it's not much worse than other phrases that mean the same thing: in the final analysis; when all's said and done...and so on.

     
  • At February 13, 2007 11:48 PM, Blogger Buffy Turner said…

    But doesn't it kill you when you find a new simple phrase (like "at the end of the day") that works so well? You want to use it everywhere. Some of the bogs I've noticed falling into, or at least leaning toward, especially in blogging, are phrases like, "turns out," "I can tell you right now," "come to find," and such. At least I'm sensitive enough to hear the booming echoes from what I've written elsewhere, I guess, so that I force myself forward, and elsewhere.

    I know, though. It seems so obvious to me when someone reuses a phrase, or even word, that works well. In our Carribean Lit. class, the second time our professor used the word, "curfuffle,"--oh, wait, I already told you this, didn't I? That a friend of mine and I both noticed it? And it wasn't even the same night. The uses were at least a week apart.

    In the same class a girl used, "subaltern" twice in the same evening. I felt like I should plug my ears, or something.

    But what's a propigator, Daniel? Is it a pig advocator? A pig maker? Enlighten me.

    (I was just going to add, "Oh, I kill myself," but decided against it.)

     
  • At February 14, 2007 12:13 AM, Blogger Daniel said…

    I'm sorry, I misspelled propagator, one who propagates. But I like your Pig Advocate; you took it to a nice place.

    It is my:

    faihlt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home